Chicago Day 1: Driving Around Town

Morning!

Ready to see some sights?

But first I have to say how proud and happy I am in what happened yesterday. On June 26, 2015 the U.S Supreme court ruled in favour of same-sex marriage. That means that a same-sex couple can now get married in one of our 50 states! And while I'm not personally gay I have so many people close to me that are and I am so happy they've all been granted equal rights.
One of my favourite quotes is a chant I heard that goes:
"Gay, Straight, Black, White, marriage is a civil right."

Things in our country will never be perfect, and they haven't been great for a while but this changes so much. I'm so proud to live in a country that now gives everyone their equal and due right.

"They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right."
-Justice Anthony Kennedy

And now without further ado, lets see Chicago!
Our first day in Chicago was a Saturday. We got up early and headed over to one of my all time favourite restaurants, Baker's Square.
If ever you find yourself in Chicago and can make it out to suburbs you must go to Baker's Square. Ohmygod the food. It was so delicious I ate practically all of it. I definitely felt stuffed after, the uncomfortable kind of stuffed, but it was all worth it.
So you may notice some size difference amongst all my Chicago pictures. This is because I decided for this trip I would try using a point-and-shoot camera as well as my phone. The camera I used is a Nikon Coolpix S3100. And I'll admit, I haven't used a camera like this in a very long time. I normally use my phone for photos but I knew that I'd be taking a lot of pics and didn't want to kill my battery.

Also, I'm travelling to Italy in August and I wanted to use it when I'm there. So this trip was a kind of a trial use of it! I have to say, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Though funny enough, I was kind of embarrassed to be taking pictures with a point-and-shoot when everyone one else was using their phones. It almost felt "uncool" but I got over it. It's more practical.
So back to Baker's Square. They're known most for their pies which are always on display at the front right where you walk in. Ugh, they all look amazing!! But my personal favourite is Triple Berry Pie. It is pure heaven.
This was the view from our hotel. Not much to look at considering we stayed close to the airport. We had an early morning flight home and decided it would be best to be close to the airport. Especially since my mom and I are notoriously late to everything.
The weather was not summery at all. It was about 50 degrees and raining both Saturday and Sunday. Though you wouldn't hear me complaining, I love gray weather. It's beautiful and comforting. I'm an odd one! Lol.

I won't apologize for the image overload. I thought about it but then decided against it. I'm going to show you Chicago through my eyes and some of it you might not think is pretty. But mind you we also weren't smack in the middle of the city until Monday. This is what the Suburbs look like. This is where I spent my summers growing up. And this is what I call home.
I will apologize for some of the blurry pictures though, I was in a car lol.
Saturday was my Aunt's tea but it wasn't until later in the day. So we had a whole morning to spend doing whatever we wanted, which meant one thing.
Thifting.
We went to two different thrift stores and I got a few pieces, nothing much. I just loved looking around. After a morning of shopping it was time to drive out to the tea house. I'll post more on the tea tomorrow, for today lets just enjoy the drive.
This thing about Chicago, and Illinois really, is that it looks different at every turn. It's not at all like South Florida which can look as though it was manufactured. There's history on the streets, personality in the buildings, and diversity everywhere.
They're quite terrible quality but you can see the sky cleared up just enough for us to get a glimpse of the sunset out west. The pictures definitely don't do it justice. It was one of those sunsets that burns itself into your mind. It looked as though the sky was on fire. It was so beautiful I forgot to get out my camera until later. 

I don't know if I'll ever be able to fully put into words the way I feel about Chicago. Maybe by the end of this segment of posts. Simply put, I love it.

I hope you all have a wonderful day and find a city that you love too.
Cheers xo

Comments