Chicago Day 3: Sights and Sounds

Happy July!!

I can't believe it's already July, January really doesn't feel like it was long ago.
So before we head downtown I have exciting news. Camp NaNoWriMo begins today! This is my first time ever participating in camp, and in NaNoWriMo in general. One of my goals for 2015 was to be a part of NaNoWriMo in November but when I heard about camp in July I knew it would be the perfect way to test the waters. So my goal is to work on a memoir and reach a word count of 30,000 words by the end of the month. It seems like a lot but I think I can do it. 

So with that said grab your CTA cards because we're headed downtown!
Subways are my most preferred mode of transportation right next to trains. But they're really kind of the same. We hopped on way outside of the city and rode straight in. The subways in Chicago are always so clean and the coolest part is that they ride tracks right down the middle of the highway. After a while you go through a tunnel and come up on the other side high above the streets. Gently rolling past rooftops and open windows, you can see the highrises in the distance. Then it's back down underground and that's when you know you're getting close.

When we got off we didn't totally know where we were. We took a different subway line than we normally would because we wanted to stop off close the School of Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC). So me being completely and utterly excited to be back in the city just took of in any direction I thought  was right. When we came up we entered into this beautiful lobby. The sheer height of it is enough to make you dizzy but it's so entrancing at the same time.
Stepping outside this was the first thing that caught our eye. How beautiful. It reminds me ice and snow. Like if I touched it it would cold. But it wasn't of coarse lol. If you were wondering what kind of sculpture I want to do in the future this is it. I love large installation pieces and Chicago is in no short supply of them. 

We took a hot minute to get our barrings together and figure out which way to. So I took the time to capture every angle around me.
I can't put into words the feeling that overcomes me even when I look at these pictures. I love the city. Simply put.
We did a lot of walking through the city. We saw the administration building for SAIC as well as one of the dorms, which is located across from the Chicago Theatre. How cool?! We went to Millennium park, which I will show in a different post as well as a stained glass exhibit we saw. We went to a cute little boutique, a Barnes n Noble. We really went everywhere and saw everything we wanted too.
Marshall Field's.
More commonly known today as Macy's. Marshall Field's is a beautiful, old Chicago department store. The building itself takes up a whole block on all four sides. It's quite possibly my most favourite place in all the downtown. My mom used to shop here with her mother in the 50's and then with me in the 90's. 
The Marshall Field's company was founded back in 1852 and the State Street store, which is still standing, was constructed back in the late 1890's/early 1900's. Macy's bought out the company in 2005 and people were upset. I was upset, and honestly I will never call it Macy's. It will always be Marshall Field's to me. But I do have to give Macy's credit for not destroying the history that stands within those walls.
Marshall Field's is known for 3 iconic features. Their great clocks (shown above), the beautiful Walnut Room where you can have some of the best tea ever, and Frango mints.
Macy's has been great about keeping the integrity of the building and the history. And in truth that's all I could ever ask for. The preservation of Frango mints and beautiful ceilings is what I find important.
Introducing the beautiful and coveted Chicago Style Dog.
Basically it's this:

Frankfurter Dog
Poppyseed Bun
Yellow Mustard
Green Relish (must be neon in colour. I'm not joking)
Tomato Wedges (two of them)
Chopped Onion
Sport Peppers (Two of them)
Celery Salt
Pickle Wedge (right on top)

ABSOLUTELY NO KETCHUP. EVER.

And there you have it, the best hot dog you will ever have in your entire life. I swear by this.
Frango has always been located down in the basement next to the food court and Barbara's Books. At least that's how I've always known it.
Frango mints are tied with Wevel Kasztanki for best chocolate in the world. Truly if you ever get the chance pick yourself up a box. I personally don't care for mint so I always go for double chocolate or the assorted box, but the mints are divine as well.

This was our haul. It was about 60 dollars worth of chocolate but it was worth it! And we always buy extra box to give as gifts. I promise we haven't all of that chocolate ourselves! Though that largest box is reserved for us.
Tomorrow I'm going to show you some stunning stained glass we stumbled upon while shopping at Field's. But for now enjoy your day and go make yourself a Chicago dog! You won't regret it, I promise!
Cheers xo

Comments