Milano Day 2 - Castello Sforzesco

Buongiorno!

I'm bringing you another Italia installment due to inclement weather. But seriously though, everyday I planned to shoot photos this week has simply been gray and wet. And day was no different! Which mean my outfits posts will be going up sometime next week when hopefully the weather is nicer to me.

So on today's agenda: Castello Sforzesco
Milano's Castle
Walking up to the castle gate was a breathtaking moment for me. Before me stood a wall so tall, so wide, and so old. It's not just a castle, it's a fortress. And you could feel it walking up to the gate.
These are part of the castle defense leading up to the walls.
The seal above the castle entrance.
Once we entered we were greeted by this beautiful sight.
It's quite something isn't it? The original castle dates all the way back to 1368. But it was remolded by Francesco Sforza between 1450-1266. I read that on the little information guide posted near the center!
I also believe this to be called the Courtyard of Arms, but honestly I'm not totally sure.
Soon we headed off into the Rocchetta Courtyard.
If you notice the walls you'll see areas where there is pattern on the wall and other areas where there are not. That's because the patterns are actually fresco paintings and the plain wall is plaster that that was placed over the fresco. I don;t know too much about it but I do know that the city has been performing restorations on tons of rooms in the castle and this courtyard was on of them. They're slowing returning it to its original state.
How cool are the ceilings That I believe is the seal, or coat of arms, of Sforza.
And this fresco is one that they have been working on for a couple of years. Can you just imagine how beautiful the wall will look once all of the plaster is removed and the fresco's show again?
We wandered back out of the castle and into the English Gardens but not before stopping to admire where the moat would have been. Long ago this would have been filled up high with water but now it's grassy and home to so many cute cats!
Bam! Look at that site. This was taken facing the English Gardens with eh castle behind me. It's so green and lush.
Our next adventure was to wander through the huge garden. And when i say huge I really do mean huge. This garden was filled with everything from ponds, to arenas. People were walking their dogs, their children, reading books, having picnics. It was like the Central Park of Milano.
Look there's the castle, not too far away.
And omg, let's pause real quick to acknowledge that this van is so tiny and cute!
Okay back to wandering the garden!
The little mermaid bridge that crossed over the little river filled with ducks. I feel like a fairy tale was written about that.
After wandering around for about an hour or so we decided to head back towards the castle and cut through to the street on the other side.
Don't mind me and my tons of sculpture pictures that will eventually bombard you! Sculptures like this fascinate me.
So we headed back out through the courtyard passing under the Filarete Tower and onto the street.
The weather changed a bit from the morning. If you remember when we visited the Santa Maria delle Grazie the sky was bright and blue. But it was sometime around midday/afternoon now and the sky did the overcast thing. But it was a welcome relief because the temperature and the humidity went down as the sky grew gray.
I'm going to end this post here with me standing in front of the castle fountain. The picture is dark so it looks like I'm wearing a romper but it's actually a black lace tank top and high-waisted shorts.
Next time we'll be finishing up our second day in Milano with the Galleria. It's really beautiful, can't wait to see you there!
Ciao xo

Comments