Call Me Sundance Kid

"You just keep thinkin', Butch. That's what you're good at." ~ Sundance


My Dziadzio (Polish for grandpa)  was obsessed with western films. The only thing he watched more than westerns was golf and I grew not liking either. I've only recently opened up to the world of old western films, I'll be honest I hated them so much growing up. I was not a fan of the desert setting or the sepia tones of each repeating film. I didn't even like learning about the Western movement in history class

I can without a doubt tell you that one of my all time favourite movies in this whole entire world is the 1969 western, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. You're probably wondering what happend. Robert Redford happend, that's what changed my mind about Westerns. (1969 Robert Redford is a babe) That and the whole late-60's vibe of the movie which made it not historically accurate but most definitely aesthetically pleasing. 

I saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in the theatre (yes you read that right) at a special viewing that movie theatre near our house does. Every so often they screen old films and my mom decided that we would go see this one for New Year's Day a few years back. My mom, dad, and I were the only people in the whole theatre, it was literally quite amazing. I was glued to the screen the minute the credits rolled and I most definitely cried when the movie ended. And thus began my new found love for Western films, 19th century outlaws, and western expansion history. (Okay, that's a lie. I still am not found of the Western Movement in American History but I like parts of it.)

Anyway, this is my modern day take on Sundance.
Blouse: Goodwill
Jeans: Forever21
Fedora: Forever21
(P.S. You can hype this look on my LookBook)
Did you know that Butch Cassidy was a real Western Outlaw? 
Born to Mormon parents somewhere in Utah he raised cattle before his life of crime. His real name was Robert LeRoy Parker, so not as cool as 'Butch Cassidy' though so eventually changed his name after his first bank robbery where he made away with about 20,000 dollars.
Did you know that Sundance Kid was a real Western Outlaw too?
His real name was Harry Alonzo Longabaugh (a mouthful if you ask me) and as far history can tell, he was besties with Cassidy though they did run in similar circles. They both did flee to South America, about a year apart, where they continued to be outlaws with Etta Place.
And true to the mysterious nature of all outlaws their deaths have always remained a mystery. Some say they died in Bolivia and some claim they came back to the U.S. but no knows for certain.

Well there you have it A bit of history and a bit of fashion. Don't quote me by the way, I'm merely an "amateur historian" if you can call me that. I'm just a girl who reads a lot of history books, knows even more fun facts and loves clothes.

xo

Comments